"I guess my feet know where they want me to go walking on a country road." James Taylor

Friday, August 5, 2011

Over Fifty And Feeling Proud


I was ecstatic when my publisher sent me the proof of the cover of my first book to be published.

The only experience that could top that day was a very special day in June 2006, when Betty Tersigni Hammerstone the librarian at the Alpha Public School, in Alpha, New Jersey had invited me to speak to her students in the library.


In fact, it was that very same week forty years earlier; Miss Riggio had honored me with the opportunity to speak at our Alpha Public School eighth grade graduation ceremony.
When I spoke to the very bright students, I shared my memory of Miss Mary Riggio, who instilled in me a deep love of literature, and had inspired my writing. I had also dedicated my book, "My Ominous Adventures At True Blue Farm" to Miss Riggio.

Knowing that Betty Tersigni Hammerstone was such a beloved fixture at the Alpha Public School made that day all the more momentous. Betty has such a heartwarming way of making everyone feel extraordinary.


I have had several honors associated with my book. I have been asked to mentor a summer writers workshop for teens, and I always feel extremely proud when someone asks me to autograph a copy of my book.

I have had books mailed to me from South Carolina for my autograph, and a former classmate brought a copy of my book to my forty year PHS class reunion last November, and asked me to autograph it for her. I have had a former neighbor from Alpha Val Romagnoli donate several copies of my book to his local library in Ruskin Florida.

My lifelong friend Cindy came to visit me with a new boyfriend. He showed up with a copy of my book that he wanted autographed. I am proud that I have accomplished this lifelong dream of seeing my words in print and sold all over the world and in different languages.

I had one reason to write this book, and it was to convey to my first grandchild the heartwarming experiences that I had when I was a child. I wanted her to get to know all of the loving family members who had passed on before her birth. It was my desire to include detailed descriptions of the people and favorite places of my youth.

My first draft was written four years before I submitted it to a publisher. It was accepted in June of 2005, and I signed my contract on July 1, 2005. I was thrilled yet sad that my parents and older brother Buddy were no longer with us to learn of this proud accomplishment.

My brother Buddy did get to read my rough draft, and he was especially complimentary of the way I turned the true life story of a very special vacation spent at the farm of our godparents into a historical fiction piece of literature.

I watched him as he sat on my sister Ruth Ann's couch reading it. Very often I had gotten a glimpse of him smile as he read. I knew before he spoke to me that he enjoyed reading it. That was the very first moment when I felt proud of what I had written.

Every time one of my six grandchildren asks me to read my book to them, I feel like this is what it was all about in the first place. I am telling you that is all the validation that I need!

One of this nation's most beloved and honored heroes, President Theodore Roosevelt had written:
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”
 ©2006 by Diane Dunwell-Hoffman
All rights reserved. This book is registered with the U.S. Library of Congress ISBN: 1-4137-9770-9 (softcover) ISBN: 978-1-4489-2487-5(hardcover)

No comments:

Post a Comment