"I guess my feet know where they want me to go walking on a country road." James Taylor

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Shake, Rattle, and Roll, and Nuclear Power Plants




Well, today we got a little preview of Shake, Rattle, and Roll! I was the first to joke about it with a few comical Facebook posts. But the reality is that it could have been a very, very bad experience for everyone in the Eastern USA. Just in my own immediate area of less than a 100 mile radius there are six nuclear power plants. It only took one melt down in Chernobyl, Ukraine, or Fukushima, Japan to create a wasteland in the affected areas.

Today, Mattie Stepanek's mother Jeni reported books had fallen from her shelves in Rockville, Maryland, and in the nearby city of Reading, PA the Penn Street Bridge received a crack that caused it to be closed according to a report from the Reading Eagle online news. The Internet news reported evacuation of the Pentagon, and in Washington D.C. the closing of the U.S. historical monuments.

I think we lucked out this time, but I sure hope the Nuclear Regulatory Commission takes the threat of earthquakes very seriously, and takes every precautionary measure possible to avert multiple disasters, the likes that have never been experienced before.

No comments:

Post a Comment