"I guess my feet know where they want me to go walking on a country road." James Taylor

Saturday, August 27, 2011

"The Flash" No this is not a blog on menopause...

Re-Post from Welcome To My Morning...

Previously I had written about L.M. Montgomery, and her book Emily Of New Moon. I began reading it yesterday while Maggie was napping. I had an epiphany while reading a passage in the very first chapter. The following is an excerpt from that chapter:

She must not forget how the tip of the trees on the hill came out like fine black lace across the edge of the pinky-green sky. And then for one glorious, supreme moment, came "the flash"...It had always seemed to Emily, ever since she could remember, that she was very, very near to a world of wonderful beauty. Between it and herself hung a thin curtain; she could never draw the curtain aside but sometimes, just for a moment, a wind fluttered it, and then it was as if she caught a glimpse of the enchanting realm beyond-only a glimpse-and heard a note of unearthly music.

Perhaps Emily's "the flash" was once described in Greek Mythology as The Muses. They were known as goddesses who inspired the arts, and the creative process. I prefer to think that it is a sudden inspiration from God to translate the beauty of HIS creation onto canvas, paper, and in song. God uses us to spread HIS word through the creative arts, and in turn bringing a pure joy to the soul of the creative vessel.

This passage from Emily Of New Moon reminded me of the August 25, 1991 entry in my writing journal. The entry:

This evening at approximately 7:00PM Jamiann and I traveled to Point Pleasant, PA. I decided to stop by the foot bridge that spans the Delaware River between Point Pleasant and Bull Island. There was a full moon and its reflection sparkled on the river water like thousands of tiny little mirrors. It was such a breathtaking sight, the kind for which poems are written, or a masterpiece painted. I then suddenly noticed that the railings of the bridge were covered in webs intricately spun by hundreds of spiders. Although I may have been frightened, I felt joy and calm. The webs also reflected the moonlight and looked as though they were spun in glass. It was as if the spiders had front row seats in an elaborate theater of the unending showing of one of God's most wondrous of plays.

That was it my "the flash", And then for one glorious, supreme moment, came "the flash"...and I was very, very near to a world of wonderful beauty. Between it and myself hung a thin curtain; I could never draw the curtain aside but sometimes, just for a moment, a wind fluttered it, and then it was as if I caught a glimpse of the enchanting realm beyond-only a glimpse-and heard a note of unearthly music.

I will be eternally grateful that GOD has brought the prolific works of E.M. Montgomery into my life. I was first drawn to her writing through Anne Of Green Gables. When pondering my new found relationship with the late L.M. Montgomery and using the words of her character Anne with an E, "We are kindred spirits."

No comments:

Post a Comment