"I guess my feet know where they want me to go walking on a country road." James Taylor

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Back Porch Smoking Food On An Electric Grill

My husband Roger purchased this electric grill last summer in the "Bargain Cave" at Cabelas here in Tilden Township/Hamburg, PA.  He kept telling me that it was a smoker too and that we could use wood chips in it to smoke food.  

This past August while shopping at Cabelas Roger purchased some wood chips.  He ended up getting two bags, one Hickory, one Apple Wood.  I think they were about six dollars a bag.



They were definitely worth the six dollars.  A bag will last quite a long time.  The first thing I roasted was a standing rib pork roast using the Apple Wood on Labor Day. It was so moist and so delicious! There were no leftovers.   

The next thing I smoked were New York Strip Steaks using the Hickory Wood, and honestly we did not care for our steak with a Hickory flavor.  


I then smoked a ham using a combination of the Apple Wood and the Hickory Wood following the directions on the ham for the amount of time at 350 degrees.  It was absolutely scrumptious! My porch smelled like Cracker Barrel!  That is another benefit of this grill. When you smoke food your outdoor living space smells like a 17th Century Farm Living Re-enactment! It reminds me of our beloved yearly first week of October visit to Millbrook Village on Mine Road in Hardwick Township, NJ.  


I suppose any kind of grill with a lid will work.  You just place the chips on a sheet of aluminum foil and fold over enclosing the chips, then poke many holes in the top.  Place the package  on the rack next to the thing you are going to roast/smoke. I put the foil package of wood chips on the grill about twenty-thirty minutes before the food item, to get the wood started. 

Because I wanted to save the ham juices I created a pan using several sheets of heavy duty aluminum foil, I loosely covered the ham and about halfway through removed the cover.  I added the glaze in the last 20 minutes.   

I made a soup with the leftover ham and bone and it also had a smokey flavor and it was very tasty! 

My next attempt at smoking will be a Turkey! Not sure if I want to wait until Thanksgiving though.  I am too much of a Traditionalist to have Smoked Turkey on Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment