"I guess my feet know where they want me to go walking on a country road." James Taylor

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Russell Means



SIOUX FALLS, SOUTH DAKOTA
Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Russell Means died Monday, October 22nd, 2012, at the age of 72. In this program, Means speaks about his experiences at Wounded Knee forty years after the attack in South Dakota and highlights the history of Native Americans in the U.S., specifically his personal struggles with the American government. In February of 1973, Oglala Lakota Indians and members of the American Indian Movement seized and occupied the town of Wounded Knee, South Dakota. For the next few months hostilities ensued, resulting in both Native American and U.S. officials’ deaths. Russell Means was indicted on charges related to the event but was never convicted. Means was also a film and television actor and has published an autobiography titled, “Where White Men Fear to Tread.” This program was hosted by the Center for Western Studies at Augustana College.
Please go to this link and watch this video, you will be all the better for taking this time to learn about our Native American People: http://www.c-span.org/Events/C-SPAN-Event/10737432361/




 I Love A People ~ George  Catlin


I love a people who have always made me feel welcome to the best they had.




I love a people who are honest without laws, who have no jails and no poorhouses.



I love a people who keep the commandments without ever having read them or heard them preached from the pulpit.



I love a people who never swear, who never take the name of God in vain.



I love a people who love their neighbor as they love themselves.



I love a people who worship God without a bible, for I believe that God loves them also.



I love a people whose religion is all the same, and who are free from religious animosity.



I love a people who have never raised a hand against me, or stole my property, where there was no law to punish them for either.



I love a people who have never fought a battle with white men, except on their own ground.



I love and don't fear mankind where God has made and left them, for there they are children.



I love a people who live and keep what is their own without locks and keys.



I love a people who do the best they can.



And oh, how I love a people who don't live for the love of money






American Indian Movement: http://www.aimovement.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment