"I guess my feet know where they want me to go walking on a country road." James Taylor

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

City Chickens????

Kate Gosselin and her Brood
In today's Lehigh Valley Live there was an article about a woman in Alpha, NJ who had gone to the Alpha Borough Council to request permission to keep her daughter's 4H project chickens.  Chickens are under a code being enforced by the borough as being an exotic animal and it would be necessary to have a permit to keep them.

I can remember one of Alpha's "old timers”, a friend of my late mother told us that when she was a child, her parents who were immigrants from Eastern Europe had goats, pigs, and chickens. She even said that they often wandered into their home from the yard.

I suppose that is how that ordinance came into play. Perhaps a new code could be rewritten that includes steps to obtain a permit that will benefit everyone involved including neighboring property.After all the neighbors have rights too.

 I can remember having a neighbor once whose dog crapped all over their yard and they never cleaned it up. When I stepped out onto my patio the smell was unbearable, and dogs are allowable according to the present codes.



Advice on raising Chickens in your backyard.





The Gosselin Estate
Even Kate Gosselin raises Chickens for eggs!    Kate's abode is by no means in an urban setting.  It is about 20 miles from my house smack dab in the middle of the lovely Berks County countryside.




At the given rate of the government’s involvement in the lives of the 99% very soon it may be necessary to have a few chickens in order to sell eggs as was the case of struggling households during the depression.

Learn About Depression Egg Sellers From This Movie, Kit Kitteredge, An American Girl

1 comment:

  1. I tried to leave a post on the LVL page but it had to be approved by the blog moderator, because it was rather long. It is in the above blog. Just a little comment about Alpha in the past when chickens were allowed. I decided that it would reach a wider audience on my blog...after all it is read in 26 different countries! So to those who think they are clairvoyant,"You're Not! There were no comments made by me on there!"

    ReplyDelete