"I guess my feet know where they want me to go walking on a country road." James Taylor

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Respectful Decorum


 If we lose love and self respect for each other, this is how we finally die.  Maya Anelou



I grew up with four other siblings, and a maternal grandfather who lived in our home.  Our mother taught us to always respect our elders.  Once when I was angry I spoke back to a friend's mother in front of my mother and she smacked me and grounded me from going skating that night.  


I would never speak in a loud voice or even think of talking back to an aunt, uncle, or grandparent.  I respected their right to an opinion.  I wouldn't dream of telling them that I did not agree, even if I didn't. 


God forbid if we used foul language in front of my mother.  My mother reprimanded adults who used the "F" word in front of her.  Have things changed so drastically over these past few decades that common decent courtesy is lost to the constant engaging in disrespectful discourse?  I expect that those who are at the very least twenty years younger than me would treat their elders in a civilized courteous manner.  


I will be sixty this coming October, and I am proud to say that not only have I treated those older than me with respect, but both of my daughters do too. I have seen their posts, and blogs and they do not use profane language either.


This blog is not meant to be derogatory toward those who do not follow the decorum of my youth. It is my greatest desire to teach others that if they present themselves in a dignified manner when interacting with the world and especially their elders, they will in turn receive respect.  When a person is loud,  and using profanity they are ultimately lowering their own self esteem, as well as the esteem of others. 


We are more thoroughly an enlightened people, when we show ourselves respect, by showing respect toward others.   


Bend the rule too often and you might have to scrap the plan. Rod McKuen

No comments:

Post a Comment