"I guess my feet know where they want me to go walking on a country road." James Taylor

Monday, October 24, 2011

The Lighthouse Inn, New London, Connecticut

I had the eerie experience of staying at one of our nations most haunted hotels.   One October a few years ago I spent a weekend at the Lighthouse Inn in New London Connecticut.  I must admit that I did not experience any kind of paranormal activity during my stay, but I did give one of its ghosts some "other worldly" advice.


In 1902 a steel mogul Charles Guthrie built a summer home near the harbor of New London, Connecticut on the Long Island Sound.  He loved gardens and surrounded the mansion with beautiful fields of native wildflowers, thus giving the estate the name Meadow Court.  His summer home become so popular that socialites and celebrities were eager to spend time there.  Some of the elite who spent respite time there are Bette Davis, and Joan Crawford.


In 1927, the mansion became a hotel, and because of the spectacular view of the harbor lights, it was given the name the Lighthouse Inn.  It's regal Victorian interior made it a popular place for weddings.  During one such wedding in 1930, as the lovely bride descended the ornate winding staircase she tripped and fell to her instant death.  


It has been reported that her ghost in great sadness and despair wanders the hotel, opening and closing doors, and the scent of her perfume wafts through the air near the staircase. 


As I was very carefully descending the stairs during my stay, I repeated these words, "Dear Bride, go into the light, you were spared a lifetime of despair the night you died." Yes, it was my meager attempt at being facetious regarding marriage.  There are supposedly two other spirits that haunt the Lighthouse Inn, however I did not experience any of them during my stay.


I simply experienced the ambiance of a very old, and austere Victorian Inn that did need some TLC as it was beginning to show some wear. The rooms are nice in the main hotel, but the Carriage House is not as lovely.  However the beach is just a few hundred feet away and very private and serene in October.










We had a typical lunch of sandwiches that were very tasty in the Olde English styled lounge, and then partied with several friends to a very entertaining three piece band.  The last night of our stay we had a banquet in the very stately ballroom.  All in all I had a great time, however this hotel gets only 3 1/2 stars because it is in need of some tender loving care.  Unless the innkeepers want to maintain the dark haunted image of the Inn, it is very dark and in need of adding some light to the decor. Just one walk through the door into the small lobby, the darkness of the interior creates an overwhelming feeling of gloom.   I most likely would only return for a stay at the Lighthouse Inn of New London, Connecticut if it were because of the haunting experience with a medium in tow.  This hotel was featured on the popular television show,  Ghost Hunters.


The Lighthouse Inn on Ghost Hunters, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment